Monday 9 December 2013

Growing Better


Viola 'Aspasia', happy in mixed company
Viola cornuta minor last summer

I hadn't realised how much I had missed them until I turned the corner of the house, and there before me were the viola tubs. It was astonishing how green and fresh their foliage was, some holding teardrops from a recent shower.  When I left for a morning visit to a hospital clinic in early November, I fully expected to be back in my little garden by noon. Instead I was transplanted to a room in the hospital, to be scrutinised and analysed and generally brightened up if possible. It was somewhat akin to what happens when we decide that some works needs doing with a plant which is failing to thrive; thankfully the doctors, like myself, seemed to prefer the conservative approach - liquid feeds were deemed better than a good prune, at least for the moment. Now that I am perking up, here I am back to talk about my little plants.

Here we are already in December, and violas 'Etain', 'Columbine', and 'Aspasia' are still flowering; the lovely yellow viola from Lidl is still in bloom, also the two Sorbet violas.  All the cuttings I took in October are green and flourishing, and the cuttings from Tomás are looking happy and even seem in some cases to be increasing. It's 13 degrees celsius today, the mild temperatures no doubt help with the growing.

I am considering sowing the seeds I saved shortly, dying to sow them, in fact, and start off the new growing year.

Has anyone grown a pansy or viola as a house plant, I wonder? If so, I would love to know how they did, whether or not they thrived, if they flowered well, and so forth.  If anyone tried this, I would love to hear about it.

Today's photos are from last summer, because I haven't got any current ones, but I hope I will have some
Viola 'Etain' last May. So far it has been blooming steadily since April
shortly.  Meanwhile, I'm sure you are all up to your eyes getting ready for the coming holidays.  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment